Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Coming to an End


I had no idea what to expect going into this class. I did not understand what exactly “content literacy” meant. A class based on learning how to include reading in writing in all subjects was something that I would never thought to be a required course. Looking back now this class ended up being very beneficial. I learned many new things that I will definitely be using in my classroom. I was required to blog and use twitter, two things I had never done before. With my main focus being math I found this class to be very helpful. Every subject needs to include reading and writing because those are two skills that are necessary in life. The Tovani text is something I am definitely going to hold on to because she has a lot of experience in content literacy and many different strategies that were successful in her classroom and other classrooms. Looking back at all of my blogs I am very proud at how much I improved. I used to write them as assignments, but now I am used to just writing down my thoughts as I type. The Teacher Preacher holds a collection of writings that are filled with many different opinions and helpful content literacy strategies. I am definitely going to keep it bookmarked on my computer because maybe once in a while I will have something to write down or I might want to look back at them if I need a good strategy suggestion. I wont only look back at my blog, but I will also look back at my classmate’s blogs. This class definitely helped me grow as an educator. I now have a different view on teaching. I would have never thought as a math teacher to make a point to add in reading and writing, but after this class I will always make sure to have a content literacy section in all of my lesson plans. Overall I am sad to see this class come to an end, and I can’t wait to gain more and more knowledge in this area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment